In today’s business world, network security carries major importance. With the ever-growing number of remote workers and the use of cloud technologies, companies started to need different network protection solutions rather than traditional network security technologies. Also, with the expanding remote workforce, securing only the network became inadequate to prevent possible risks. The access of remote users should be secure too. Secure remote access is essential for an efficient remote workforce. Also, it may be the first step a company should take to protect its corporate network. But, how to do it?
To secure access of users, the first to take into account should be managing Internet Protocol addresses. The reason behind that is that an IP is an instrument that connects devices both to networks and one another. So, to safeguard access, a company may need to control the instrument that allows access. IP address management or IPAM tools play an essential role for enterprises because they help companies easily manage, regulate, and maintain their networks and the access of users.
These tools are suitable options for today’s businesses. They may offer significant benefits to companies while also increasing network performance. So, in this article, we will talk about the efficient IPAM tools companies can utilize, but first, let’s cover more things about these technologies.
IP Address Management: Definition, Methodology & Benefits
IP management is the practice of regulating, routing, and governing the particular technologies that enable internet access such as DNS, DHCP, and IPs. This practice allows managers to keep track of assignable IPs and aids managers to streamline IP space administration, DNS information, and DHCP layout. In short, IPAM streamlines thus making it easy to route IP address-related technologies.
How Does IPAM Work?
IPAM centrally handles DNS, DHCP, and IPs, allowing you to monitor your whole IP address space from a single platform. IPAM gathers parameters from system endpoints created via Internet Control Message Protocol, Simple Network Management Protocol, and neighborhood inspection, and then utilizes this data to regulate and show IP address consumption, as well as automatically label not utilized IPs.
IPAM systems work with Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) to deliver endpoints with a static or dynamic IP and regulate endpoints’ appointed IP addresses. Moreover, IPAM also collaborates with DNS to deliver more accurate details about the access. By utilizing IPAM administrators may regulate appointed IPs and unallocated IP addresses, system segments, validity, hostname details, and hardware connected with them through a consolidated panel.
Benefits of IPAM
With an increasingly distributed workforce, companies started to need different network security solutions and adopt new approaches to secure remote access. IPAM tools, as a best starting point, offer companies enhanced security. Also, these tools give them the flexibility to implement other solutions combined with IP management. However, there are other benefits such as:
- Easy Management
- Better Visibility
- Reduced Complexity
- Endpoint Security
- Centralized Administration
Best IPAM Tools
1- SolarWinds IPAM
SolarWinds is a trusted vendor that provides network management solutions to enterprises regardless of the size or industry. Their IPAM application has various advantages and a straightforward layout. This utility is seen as one of the most efficient IPAM tools on the market. Moreover, the vendor delivers one month of the free version for individuals who like to test the product. Listed below are some of the main features of the product.
- Dynamic IP Tracking: Permits the operators to keep ahead of the curve by dynamically rerouting IPs.
- IPv4 and IPv6 Management: This product offers both types of IP management.
- Network Scanner: Dynamically evaluates the system for scalability.
- Reclaim of IP addresses: Companies may easily retrieve discarded static and allocated DHCP addresses
2- ManageEngine OpUtils
Another efficient tool on the market is designed by OpUtils. The IPAM product of OpUtils works efficiently both with IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. OpUtils also delivers switch port monitoring software within the product. There are three different options to choose from for utilizing the OpUtils tool which are Free Edition, Standard, and Professional Edition. ManageEngine OpUtils comes with numerous features including:
- CISCO Config File Administration: You can automate CISCO backup configurations.
- Rogue Detection: Allows switch port banning to restrict prohibited accesses.
- Bundle of 30+ Tools: Within the program, OpUtils delivers a variety of utilities for managing IPs.
- Bandwidth Tracking: Administrators can monitor the network’s bandwidth use and produce bandwidth utilization reports for various factors.
- Switch Port Administration: You may analyze, record, and display detailed information about your network switch ports. This is one of the most advantageous benefits of IP management.
Device42 IPAM tool enables a simple, user-friendly UI for consolidated IP overview and administration. Discoveries are scheduled to run continually, dynamically associating alterations to the system when they arise and updating your CMDB regularly. Device42’s CMDB can monitor anything you manage, including IP and non-IP-based endpoints and services, infrastructure, applications, interconnections, and resource use. The key features of the product include:
- IPv4 and IPv6 Address Administration: The product offers both types of IPAM.
- Auto Discovery Tools: Device42 provides network, device, and IP discovery traits.
- IP Range Management: This utility aids you in simply routing IP ranges and regulating these ranges.
- Segregation Administration: This technology aids managers to regulate segregations separately.
- Cloud Migration: Companies can migrate their configurations to the cloud with the product.
Next up there is NordLayer. The vendor is a reputable and trusted one. NordLayer delivers IP management with VPN technologies. Businesses can use dedicated IPs with NordLayer to permit endpoint connection control functionality. Companies can easily configure connection privileges and segregate their system to guarantee that critical assets are not accessible to people who do not require them. With this technology companies can also make sure that the appointed dedicated IP is utilized only by the corporate. The traits of NordLayer IP management are:
- Secure Remote Access: With dedicated IPs, you can secure the remote access of endpoints.
- Network Segmentation: Utilizing segmentation services delivers enhanced security.
- User Group Segmentation: User groups can be regulated and monitored separately.
- Intuitive Control Panel: You can control, regulate and route activities from a consolidated panel.
- Dedicated Servers: NordLayer offers dedicated servers for more reliable and stable access.
- Private Gateways: You can establish additional gateways for your clients and associates.
5- Infoblox IPAM
Another widely used management product is Infoblox IPAM. The product also enhances IP AM efficiency by merging IPAM, DNS, and DHCP in a consolidated portal. It identifies new IPs dynamically and inspects them for viruses using the Infoblox DNS Firewall then isolates the infected endpoints. This product delivers IP address management both for cloud systems and on-premise infrastructure. Furthermore, it contains a DHCP fingerprinting capability that aids in debugging by analyzing certain IP addresses. Key features of this tool are:
- Device Parameter Identification: The tool features extensive device identification to find all devices.
- Automatic Device Detection: You can easily detect all devices in the network.
- Identity Mapping: You may evaluate asset consumers and resolve network and individual difficulties.
- Flexible Data Tagging: To efficiently arrange and exchange data, you can utilize configurable information traits to designate essential IP assets.
- Automatic Device Discovery: You can locate all network-connected endpoints via the product.
- DHCP Fingerprinting: Using DHCP options, you can determine device attributes including operating apps and endpoint model.
GestióIP is a web-based, open-source IPAM that can manage both types of addresses. It is a free-to-use tool that consumes no server sources. The product can dynamically perceive IPs on your infrastructure and also delivers a robust search engine for routing IPs or hostnames. There is also paid model of the product which comes with extra traits. With the enhanced search, administrators may simply and rapidly retrieve crucial network space statistics. GestióIP IPAM has a variety of features:
- Web-based GUI: Displays event data to users in a variety of graphical representations in a web browser.
- VLAN Discovery: It enables the IP to route activity to the appropriate NAP located on the VLAN.
- Network Discovery: This product simplifies the IP finding systems.
- DHCP Integration: This utility can integrate with the preexisting DHCP configs.
- DNS Integration: This utility is compatible with the present DNS configs.
The last one on our list is LightMesh IPAM. LightMesh is a low-cost IPAM product built specifically for SMEs. This software also has a free trial feature which can be beneficial for those who want to test it. Different from other tools, LightMesh offers an Audit History feature that permits to review of old settings. This IP AM product integrates with your current DNS and DHCP systems to deliver users a unified overview of all of your IP, DNS, and DHCP data, no matter where it functions. You can see the key features listed below:
- Multi-group Security Permission: Endpoints may be appointed to a wide range of individual clients, permitting them to access just the information related to them.
- DNS Integration: LightMesh can work with the current DNS system.
- DHCP Integration: The tool merges with preexisting DHCP systems.
- Permission Administration: The tool enables managers to specify access privileges.
- Network Discovery: To find any IP endpoints on your system, LightMesh includes both network-located and command-line applications.
- IP Planning: Dynamic IP planning aids with the maintenance of the system.
- IP Visualization: Administrators may receive constructive information thanks to an easy design and comprehensive visual depiction of data.